Relying on the internet as a tool for research and source of knowledge has become more and more essential also in the art scene. However, the representation of contemporary Arab1 visual art on the internet needs enhancement. Therefore an easily navigatable, collective online platform is needed. This online platform will comprise visual artists who work with different media and who are either already established or still upcoming.
The platform will offer the participating arists the opportunity to present themselves with their own online page with biography, artist statement, and reproduction of artworks – both in Arabic and English language. On the platform one will be able to either browse through and find inspirations or to search specifically for artists by name, artistic discipline, or country, so that e.g. a photographer from Mauritania or a video-artist from Lebanon can be quickly found. An expert committee will select the repesented artists based on their artistic achievement/practice.
Our goal is to:
– create a referable source that brings together, documents and exposes Arab artists,
– give an insight into the contemporary Arab visual art scene,
– reach a wider audience for the artists by linking the platform to social media,
– increase the overall attention for visual art in the society,
– connect artists in the Arab world and Arab artists abroad,
– enhance networking within the culture community by enabling direct communication with the artists without go-between
(1) Arabs – عَرَبٌ (‘arab) primarily inhabit the 22 member states of the Arab League. The Arab world stretches around 13 million km2, from the Atlantic Ocean in the west to the Arabian Sea in the east and from the Mediterranean Sea in the north to the Horn of Africa and the Indian Ocean in the southeast.